A Role of Estrogen in Etiopathogenesis of Melasma in Female Patients- A Prospective Observational Study in a Tertiary Care Hospital


Author Details : Krishnendra Varma, Kiran Kumare, Harsh Sharma, Megha Sharma

Volume : 1, Issue : 1, Year : 2015

Article Page : 21-24


Suggest article by email

Abstract

Background: Melasma is a common patchy brown, tan or blue-gray facial skin discoloration usually seen in women in the reproductive years.
Aim: To study the role of estrogen in etiopathogenesis of melasma in female patients.
Objectives: To study the estrogen levels and its imbalance in female patients attending Dermatology OPD of C.R.G.H. within 1 year by correlating with the normal levels.
Patients and Methods: Sixty -six female patients suffering from melasma, between the ages of 15-45 years, were enrolled in the study. Patients were investigated for estrogen levels at any time of their menstrual cycle and estrogen values estimated according to follicular and luteal phase values.
Results: Amongst the sixty- six patients, there were only 18 (27.3%) patients who had normal values for estrogen while the remaining 48 patients (72.7%) had deranged values (mostly increased).
Conclusion: Estrogen plays an important role in causation of melasma.

Key Words:
Melasma, estrogen, discolouration, reproductive years


How to cite : Varma K, Kumare K, Sharma H, Sharma M, A Role of Estrogen in Etiopathogenesis of Melasma in Female Patients- A Prospective Observational Study in a Tertiary Care Hospital. IP Indian J Clin Exp Dermatol 2015;1(1):21-24


Copyright © 2015 by author(s) and IP Indian J Clin Exp Dermatol. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (creativecommons.org)





View Article

PDF File  


Downlaod

PDF File    






Article Access statistics

Viewed: 1147

PDF Downloaded: 353



Wiki in hindi