A clinicoepidemiological study of non-retroviral sexually transmitted diseases in patients attending Dermatology department in a tertiary care hospital


Original Article

Author Details : Ann John Kurien, Bhaskar Gupta*

Volume : 7, Issue : 1, Year : 2021

Article Page : 30-34

https://doi.org/10.18231/j.ijced.2021.006



Suggest article by email

Abstract

Introduction: Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are a group of communicable diseases that are transmitted predominantly by sexual contact and are caused by a wide range of bacterial, viral, protozoal and fungal agents and ectoparasites. STDs are hidden epidemics. It is imperative to understand the current trends of STDs in various parts of our country in order to plan and implement various strategies to combat this problem.
Aim: To understand the pattern of non-retroviral STDs in patients attending Dermatology department in a tertiary care hospital in North east India.
Materials and Methods: The study was performed in Silchar Medical College and Hospital, Silchar, Assam. A total of 248 cases were studied between July 2019 to June 2020, with detailed clinical history and examination. The diagnosis was confirmed with relevant laboratory investigations. Treatment was provided as per NACO’s guidelines.
Result: Out of the total 248 patients, 135(54.43%) were male and 113(45.57%) were female. Majority of the patients were from urban background (84.7%) while the rest (15.3 %) were from rural area. Most of the cases were seen in 21- 30 years age group accounting for 116 cases (46.77%). Only 80.65 % patients regularly used barrier contraception. A total of 50 males (20%) confessed to having had contact with sex workers. Maximum number of cases were herpes genitalis (39.92%), followed by gonococcal urethritis (24.39%) and syphilis (8.98%).
Conclusion: A comprehensive understanding of the various STDs and their aetiology and presentation is essential to avoid their much preventable long-term sequelae. Focussed counselling sessions, education drives, contact tracing and prompt management of the partners are also integral parts of treatment.

Keywords: Sexually transmitted disease.


How to cite : Kurien A J, Gupta B , A clinicoepidemiological study of non-retroviral sexually transmitted diseases in patients attending Dermatology department in a tertiary care hospital. IP Indian J Clin Exp Dermatol 2021;7(1):30-34


Copyright © 2021 by author(s) and IP Indian J Clin Exp Dermatol. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (creativecommons.org)



View Article

PDF File   Full Text Article


Downlaod

PDF File   XML File   ePub File


Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

Article DOI

https://doi.org/10.18231/j.ijced.2021.006


Article Metrics






Article Access statistics

Viewed: 22

PDF Downloaded: 11